Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zocker

What are you currently listening to

109 posts in this topic

Listening to Agaetis Byrjun (lol spelling) by Sigur Rós. The whole album, not just the title track.

This will never stop being great.

On 13.9.2016 at 6:31 AM, Skye said:

bees are just serendipitous cuckolds for the entire Plantæ kingdom.

oh zocker , you are kawaii .   :wub:  

- Hedgie

That is a fantastic album, one of the few albums that can make me emotional.

I randomly stumbled upon this weird, obscure '80s gem just now, and man, what a video. The song itself is ridiculously cheesy, but the video is on a whole nuther level. Some woman is about to board a bus, but then looks around anxiously when she suddenly spots the bassist practicing and looking down upon her from the apartment window. Then it's magically daytime and the video cuts to the band having what appears to be a really unproductive rehearsal. Everyone seems to be sarcastically gesturing towards the singer who is literally prancing around the room and throwing things at the drummer who is rather unconvincingly pretending to play. Then random members of the Cosby Show show up to the apartment for some awkward, poorly planned family reunion. The leader singer tries to keep singing, but ends up leaving the gig in disappointment when her special someone fails to show. She's then shown boarding the bus originally shown at the beginning of the video, which, in a surprise turn of events, turns out to be her band's tour bus. Thank God for the '80s.

Fantastic video. Only in the 80s would a group of fully grown adults call themselves Klymaxx without a hint of irony.

I like how at the tour bus apparently drives off without their bassist. Unless the person in the window is unrelated to the band which would only make the video more stupid.

- Hedgie

I think they accidentally created some sort of space time paradox in an effort to create a clever narrative, so yeah. They left the bassist practicing all alone in the apartment, which is weird because the singer was supposedly the last person in the apartment, waiting for someone who never ended up showing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E40pKmuqYkU

New One Direction song is boring, unenthusiastic Adult Alternative music. Adult Alternative is probably not the best kind of music to make when your primary demographic is tweenage girls. Who is even running their career that they would allow them to go from singing unfathomably catchy summer pop anthems to poorly written Wilco knockoff ballads?

Chumbawamba - The Boy Bands Have Won, and All the Copyists and the Tribute Bands and the TV Talent Show Producers Have Won, If We Allow Our Culture to Be Shaped by Mimicry, Whether from Lack of Ideas or from Exaggerated Respect. You Should Never Try to Freeze Culture. What You Can Do Is Recycle That Culture. Take Your Older Brother's Hand-Me-Down Jacket and Re-Style It, Re-Fashion It to the Point Where It Becomes Your Own. But Don't Just Regurgitate Creative History, or Hold Art and Music and Literature as Fixed, Untouchable and Kept Under Glass. The People Who Try to 'Guard' Any Particular Form of Music Are, Like the Copyists and Manufactured Bands, Doing It the Worst Disservice, Because the Only Thing That You Can Do to Music That Will Damage It Is Not Change It, Not Make It Your Own. Because Then It Dies, Then It's Over, Then It's Done, and the Boy Bands Have Won

- Hedgie

Having now listened to When the Pawn... and All the Remixes... by Fiona Apple and Soulwax, respectively, I can safely say that I am an expert for long-title-core and that, all things considered, the music is not worth having to remember all those words. The other two were okay but I am convinced that the Chumbawamba album listed above is the worst album of all time and its existence makes the world a worse place.

Right now I'm listening to some Steve Reich. He's cool.

- Hedgie

Chumbawamba - The Boy Bands Have Won, and All the Copyists and the Tribute Bands and the TV Talent Show Producers Have Won, If We Allow Our Culture to Be Shaped by Mimicry, Whether from Lack of Ideas or from Exaggerated Respect. You Should Never Try to Freeze Culture. What You Can Do Is Recycle That Culture. Take Your Older Brother's Hand-Me-Down Jacket and Re-Style It, Re-Fashion It to the Point Where It Becomes Your Own. But Don't Just Regurgitate Creative History, or Hold Art and Music and Literature as Fixed, Untouchable and Kept Under Glass. The People Who Try to 'Guard' Any Particular Form of Music Are, Like the Copyists and Manufactured Bands, Doing It the Worst Disservice, Because the Only Thing That You Can Do to Music That Will Damage It Is Not Change It, Not Make It Your Own. Because Then It Dies, Then It's Over, Then It's Done, and the Boy Bands Have Won

I can't believe this is a thing.

This is a fantastic song, an erhu mixed with some sick jazz and breakbeat. It's not really Chinese-sounding at all when you think about it, but it's a great composition

So catchy. I don't care if y'all judge me.

1021839.png 1064898.png

image1.png?uid=14765&m=0 | image1.png?uid=14765&m=3

Tonight Alive, basically the Australian version of Paramore, is headlining a show in my neighborhood tonight, and I can't go because I have to play a classical guitar recital at my school. In case anyone cares, this is what I'll be playing.

But as I'm playing, I'll be dreaming about my wife Jenna McDougall and all the things we could've been...

Jenna-McDougall-of-Tonight-Alive-on-Satr

A friend of mine linked me to this

It is now stuck in my head

tenor.gif

Not listening to anything right now but earlier today I worked to Tweez by Slint, as well as their set from Primavera Sound 2014. Really good band. One of the founding groups of post-rock, coming from a hardcore punk background. I'd only listened to their other album Spiderland before, since that one is more widely known, critically acclaimed and frankly better. Tweez is still pretty cool though and they're great live it seems. 

- Hedgie

ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

This song is currently number 1 in Korea right now, and it is fantastic! I'll be putting out an English language cover of it within the next couple weeks.

Also, SUHYUN is only 15. Don't get any ideas.

That is really great, actually. It's stuck in my head already.

SUHYUN kinda lacks personality, though. Maybe that's intentional.

Yes!! glad you like it. I've watched a few versions of this song, and the guest singer is always pretty somber cuz the lyrics are about addiction and destructive habits and stuff. Also, here is the guest singer Suhyun a bit more energetic in her band. The song's not quite as good as Happen Ending, but it's a bouncy, fun a little number.

I have a problem of not being able to speak Korean, so I didn't really know what the lyrics were about. (I'm not going to let the language barrier stop me from letting the Best Korea into my heart though.) Suhyun's demeanor does seem appropriate now.

Eh, not as good as the Moranbong Band.

Unrelated:

- Hedgie

Just came back from a show by Singer-Songwriter/Math Rock/Emo/Whatever group Zinnschauer and I suggest every one of you should spontaneously learn German and check them out. Or just check them out. 

- Hedgie

I've been on a semi-binge for math rock lately and I stumbled upon a guy called Dan Drake that has made various songs in that vein including the one linked below. 

Don't let the genre name drive you away (he calls this one math *pop* anyway) - it's actually pretty listenable and less rock or pop than jazz with some interesting rhythms and speed changes. There's just something enchanting about the whole thing. 

- Hedgie

Math rock has all sorts of funky time signatures. It's hard to make a song sound properly rhythmic under those conditions, so I applaud anyone who can.

Stumbled upon this hidden MJ gem from the oft-overlooked Forever, Michael album. Soooo good

I've been listening to a lot of post- and instrumental rock lately, since I spent most of my time working on stuff for and practically living in university. Done with the semester now, so I can hopefully get into things with words again. 

- Hedgie

I hear you. I just finished giving a 25 minute presentation at school yesterday about Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata. I've heard this stupid piece so many times I can actually sing all three movements from memory.

It's not really stupid though, it's amazing. Here is the first movement:

I've been listening to Duran Duran recently... cuz you know new album. But mainly a British duo called Public Service Broadcasting. They use public service announcements that were broadcast on radios or televisions back in the day, and turn them into music.

Also I'm going to see them in 6 weeks!

Huh. Interesting. Listened to some more of their stuff and they kind of reminds me of The Avalanchesmixed with some really nice minimal rock. Not wild about the synth parts though.

Personally, I recently found out that Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel hosted 9 radio shows on WFMU in 2002 and they're pretty neat. 

- Hedgie